Pages

Friday, December 30, 2022

[15] Going to College with the Alpha Betas

In my last post, I talked about using magazine and website reviews to get free games and gear.  But another great way to do this is beta testing.  

The very neat and organized computer desk in my dorm room, circa late 1997.


Back when I was in college, I had lots of free time on my hands.  I also didn't really have a big budget for brand new things. So, when a friend of mine started beta testing new releases of Windows,  I made sure he referred me as well. Beginning with Windows 98 SE, I started to test the upcoming versions of Windows before they were released to the public. This is way, way before the Internet was used as a distribution method. So, I relied on getting CDs in the mail from Microsoft, usually send second day air or overnight, with what was the latest build.

My final release copy of Win98 SE.  I've crossed out the activation code I wrote on the disc, something I would do to make sure I never misplaced it.


Obviously, the key benefit was that, when the test period was over, they gave us a copy of the final build for free.  So, I had free, official copies of Windows 98SE, Millenium, XP, and XP 2nd Edition.  To this day, when I play with virtual PC setups or use a spare machine, I use these official discs and activation codes without any issues.

My relationship with Microsoft didn't stop with operating systems. It opened up the door for me to test other products of theirs as well, especially when they started doing more of the systems online. So, I branched out into games. I don't remember all of the titles, but I have a few where I still have the discs. One of them was, at the time, the latest version of Flight Simulator. It pales in comparison to the COVID-era release that uses satellite pictures and real locations, but it was certainly enjoyable at the time 20 years ago. Another was a collection of Bicycle-brand card games. Again, quite enjoyable, although nowhere near as enjoyable as Hoyle's from Sierra On-Line back when they held the license.
The best, however, had to be a title called Pandora's Box. It was a puzzle game that made use of various works of art and photographs and paintings from museums. Most of the puzzles involved 3D jigsaw puzzle completion, or rotation. With this game, like many of the others, they rewarded the top testers with swag. Among the things I have, is a T-shirt autographed by the author of the game.  The reason that is so important, is that the games author is Alexey Pajitnov, who was the creator of the original game of Tetris.

Not my size, but who cares?


Microsoft wasn't the only company I had a relationship with, but certainly the best funded. Among the others that I got involved with was Activision, before they were completely evil, for the game Interstate 76. Back at college, I was a member of a ragtag group of nerds who formed the club that claimed to be media but was really just about gaming.

Holding gaming tournaments without approval was our M.O.



Interstate 76 was one of the early 3D driving games, you weaponized your car and shot at opponents or blew them up. However, there was a storyline to it. Unless you played in the head-to-head mode. I might have been one of the single percentage of people who played through the storyline mode, when everyone else went to deathmatch mode. It had voice over talent, and also pushed my graphics card so far to the limits, that I had no choice but to upgrade to a modern 3D card at the time.

Sadly, as I got older, the free time to test software disappeared, as I started to have real responsibilities.  I haven't been involved in this scene for nearly two decades, sadly.  But it was fun while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment